Since I was little, my family has always made a trip out to Gimli, MB in the days leading up to Christmas Eve to acquire a few pounds of fresh caught Lake Winnipeg pickerel.
Anyway, this is it. The pièce de résistance of our traditional Polish Christmas Eve dinner – fried pickerel. Fresh, hot and crispy!
- Add a couple of tablespoons of canola oil to an electric skillet (preferably) and preheat on medium heat.
- Rinse pickerel fillets in cold water and pat dry with paper towel.
- Whisk a couple of eggs in a bowl.
- Mix some breadcrumbs (Pro tip: Make your own out of your favourite croutons!) and Montreal steak spice on a plate.
- Mince fresh garlic and spread a bit on each side of the pickerel fillet.
- Dip the fillet in egg and then breadcrumb mixture.
- Fry until cooked, about 3-4 minutes per side.
- Keep in a warm oven (200 degrees) until all fillets are fried and you’re ready to serve!