We’re not a big pasta eating household but when my husband picked this recipe out, I had a feeling we were in for a delicious treat!
And yes: Winner, winner, rigatoni dinner! This dish is fantastic. Slightly sweet, slightly spicy and a nice richness from the red wine. (Note below that the recipe calls for a specific brand of wine. We simply bought a small, cheap bottle of red.)
I didn’t time this recipe as best as I could because I ended up cooking the pasta first and THEN starting the sauce (which takes about 20 minutes). No huge deal, as the pasta is tossed into the sauce at the end… but just another friendly reminder for me to read the full recipe before beginning to cook.
Oh and the leftovers, you guys… this dish is even better the next day!
Recipe Rating: 5 Knives out of 5
p.s. I have to say, I’ll be sad to see May go because I really enjoyed cooking through the Pinch of Yum blog! It’s definitely bookmarked at the top of my list and will be a regular food resource.
Spicy Sausage Rigatoni
- 1 tablespoon oil or butter
- half of a yellow onion, minced
- 4 carrots, minced
- 12 ounces spicy Italian sausage (casings removed – just the ground meat)
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- ½ teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1½ teaspoons salt
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- ½ cup Barefoot Rich Red Blend
- 1 28 ounce can San Marzano tomatoes, including their juice
- ¼ cup balsamic or Italian dressing (optional)
- 1 lb. whole wheat rigatoni
- ½ cup reserved pasta water
- Parmesan and parsley or basil for topping
- Heat the oil in a skillet over medium high heat. Add the onion and carrots – saute for 10 minutes or so, until the vegetables are very soft.
- Add the ground sausage, oregano, red pepper flakes, salt, and pepper. When the sausage is fully cooked, add the wine to get the browned bits off the bottom of the pan.
- Add the tomatoes and dressing – simmer for 10-20 minutes while the pasta is cooking.
- Cook the pasta according to package directions. When draining, reserve ½ cup of the cooking water. Combine the pasta, the sauce, and the reserved water and toss gently to combine. Transfer to a large serving dish and top with Parmesan and parsley or basil. Serve with more Barefoot Rich Red Blend!
Recipe copied from: http://pinchofyum.com/spicy-sausage-rigatoni#easyrecipe-24660-0